Eric Nicolaas Broug
|Contact Person||Eric Broug|
- Feb 2018 -present Project consultant for conservation and documentation project Rescuing the Mamluk Minbars of Cairo. Funded by the British Council’s Cultural Protection Fund: www.sigd.org/mamlukminbar/
- Jan 2018 - present Lecturer and workshop convenor for Aga Khan Museum. A collaborative project will see me give sessions across the USA and Canada in 2018 and 2019
- Jan 2018 - present Lecturer and workshop convenor at Sheikh Zayed mosque in Abu Dhabi for Tourism and Culture Authority. Monthly sessions for the Hajj Exhibition: Memories of a Journey
- December 2017 Launch of online CPD course: Best Practice in Islamic Geometric Design: https://courses.sigd.org/p/bpigd
- Aug 2017- present Design of a very large Moroccan-style zillij composition for Zakaria Education Centre in Dewsbury, United Kingdom.
- July 2017-present Project ‘Rescuing the Mamluk Minbars of Cairo’. Funded by the Cultural Protection Fund of the British Council
- June 2017-present Launch of educational entrepreneur program Teacher at the School of Islamic Geometric Design: www.sigd.org/training/teacher-sigd/
- June 2017 Lecture at the University of Leiden on Piet Mondriaan and Islamic Geometric Design
- May 2017 CPD training for architects in Dubai: Best Practice in Islamic Geometric Design. At Koltay Facades.
- May -Dec 2016 Development of the Tilemaker educational game for Qatar Foundation International
- October 2016 Participation in Global Islamic Economy Summit in Dubai. (Very) short workshops, sponsored by Noor Bank
- October 2016 Masterclass on Islamic geometric design at Dubai Design Week.
- April 2016 Exhibition at Bradford Museum in the UK. Commissioned to create a piece for their permanent collection
Publications (electronic and print)
- Forthcoming Revised 10th anniversary edition of Islamic Geometric Patterns (January 2019)
- Forthcoming Best Practice in Islamic Geometric Design. A Handbook for architects. (eBook, October 2018)
- October 2016 Islamic Geometric Design Workbook (Thames & Hudson)
- August 2016 Article:Classifying Hexagonal Tilings in Islamic Architecture with a Single Numerical Parameter , co-authored with Dr. Peter Lu (Harvard). http://archive.bridgesmathart.org/2016/bridges2016-583.html
- October 2015 Article/video presentation for CIADA 2015 conference: “Too Much Reverence: Towards a New Way of Teaching Islamic Geometric Design” https://youtu.be/e3FecGGOnz0
- October 2014 ‘Draw Islamic Geometric Star Patterns’ (e-book. Available on Amazon Kindle, Google Play, iTunes and other platforms)
- October 2013 ‘Islamic Geometric Design’ (Thames & Hudson). Also published in a French edition.
- July 2013MC Escher Meets Islamic Art (Uitgeverij Thoth). Co-author.
- May 2008Islamic Geometric Patterns(Thames & Hudson). English translation of my first book. Also published in Farsi, Turkish and French editions.
- May 2007Islamitische Geometrische Patronen (Publisher: Bulaaq Amsterdam)
- April 2007 Article on Islamic geometrical design in the magazine Saudi Aramco World
- February 2001 article ‘Tradition, Innovation, and New Experiments in Islamic Geometric Design’ in festschrift in honour of M. Uğur Derman, published by Sabanci University, Turkey;
Workshops and Training
Over the last five years I have given dozens of workshops to different groups: creatives, architects, schoolchildren, teachers. These events have taken place all over the UK, in Holland, Morocco, Norway, Germany, Turkey, UAE, USA and Canada.
- Sept‘01–August ‘02 MA in the History of Architecture degree at the department of Art and Archaeology of the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London;
- Oct ‘00- July ’01 Post Educational Diploma (P.E.D.) at the traditional arts department of the Prince’s Foundation in London;
- 1996 – 1999 part-time MA course in Political Science at the University of Amsterdam, specializing in Middle Eastern International Relations;
- 1991. Fine Arts course at the Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam;
- 1987 – 1990 BA (equivalent) degree in Political science at the University of Amsterdam, specializing in International Relations and Political Theory;
Online and Social Media
- www.sigd.org School of Islamic Geometric Design website. Free online educational resources.
- Ted Ed tutorial Animated lesson: The complex geometry of Islamic Design. Over 6 million views.
- My YouTube channel. Various online tutorials
- www.broug.com My personal website Work
- October 2016 - present self-employed. Director of Broug Ateliers Ltd in the UK.
- April 2007 – October 2016 Business manager for Middle East/North Africa at Emerald Group Publishing
- December ’06 Educational Consultant for the Turquoise Mountain Foundation in Kabul, Afghanistan. Responsible for teaching and developing the design curriculum for the School of Traditional Arts in Kabul.
Submit New Contact