|Contact Type||Writers & Researchers|
She was born in January 7, 1946 Alexandria/Egypt, she is Egyptian\German
Emeritus Professor in Department of History of Art and Archaeology, School of Arts
Advisory Board Member in Centre for Ottoman Studies
Member in SOAS Middle East Institute (SMEI)
Member, SOAS Food Studies Centre in SOAS Food Studies Centre
Associate Member in Centre for Iranian Studies
From 2000-2014: Nasser D Khalili Chair of Islamic Art and Archaeology at SOAS,
Member of the Academia Europaea.
Her list of publications covers a wide range of subjects from the early period to the 19th century with focus on Egypt and Syria: The history of Islamic architecture and decorative arts, urbanism, waqf (pious endowments), Islamic cultural history, concepts of aesthetics and Orientalism. She is currently working on a book about Mamluk libraries, scribes and book markets.
Among her books:
- Egypt’s Adjustment to Ottoman Rule, Leiden/ New York/Köln 1994
- Beauty in Arabic Culture, Princeton 1999.
- Cairo of the Mamluks, London/Cairo 2007
- The Minarets of Cairo, London/Cairo 2010
- Practicing Diplomacy in the Mamluk Sultanate:Gifts and Material Culture in the Medieval Islamic World, London 2014
Submit New Contact